Sunday, February 21, 2010

CNY Hong Kong Trip

Although it has been a week since the first day of Chinese New Year, I am still posting a blog post on my holiday trip because this is what I did then. So, very sorry for the delay of this post.

Now, back to my holiday trip. As you should know from the title of this post, I went to Hong Kong. And during my five days there, I found out that the restaurants and food stalls in Hong Kong provide very "good" service. If you had been to Hong Kong before, you should know what I mean by saying this. Do you know how the employees at the restaurant serve you food? They just slam they bowls and plate on your tables! After five days of such kind of service, this made me "pissed off" and think that it is a requirement to slam stuff on the table to make Hong Kong people special in a certain way, so that people would immediately think of Hong Kong when it comes to slamming food on tables. However, I do not mean that the employees of fast food restaurants like MacDonald's and Burger King. This is because these fast food restaurants have other branches worldwide and they have a certain standard of service, thus they are not "ill-mannered". Therefore, I think that the people of Hong Kong should improve on their standards of service.

Another thing I do not really like in Hong Kong is that many of the stuff sold there are more expensive than those sold in Singapore. So I only bought some unique and special items because why take the trouble to buy items which can also be bought in Singapore at a higher price and also have to bring it up the plane? Hong Kong also has many night markets but they all sell fake branded products like shoes and bags. The point is that I do not like fake branded goods. So on the overall, the part on shopping and buying stuff in Hong Kong is not really enjoyed by me.

The final thing is that there is a communication problem in Hong Kong for me. Many of the Hong Kong residents only know how to speak Cantonese and minimal Chinese. And I myself do not know how to speak Cantonese except a few vulgarities I heard and learnt. Only the younger generation of Hong Kong people know how to speak English and Chinese. There older generation of Hong Kong people are also quite rude in the sense that they call the Caucasians by nicknames in Cantonese.

Actually I did something wrong in this post. I should have put the good points of Hong Kong at the front part of the post first then the not so good points. Okay, now on the better points. I like Hong Kong's weather. It is not really freezing, about an average of 13 degrees Celsius. It is too hot in Singapore, you just keep sweating if you stand out in the open for too long. The good weather in Hong Kong is further enhanced by its mild rain everyday.

This post is just a general overview of what I think of Hong Kong. There will be another post on what special and sightseeing places I went in Hong Kong. Bye. One more thing, please comment.

Posted on Term 1 Week 7

1 comments:

ryan said...

Hey, glad to hear that you've been aboard! (:

Anyway, I have been to Hong Kong myself in 2006, and I must say, it was quite lovely.

On the contrary, I though the people in HK were really friendly in serving, and I definitely do not recall any slamming of food. (: Perhaps you just were at the wrong places, but generally HK food is still nice with or without the bad service.

But I do fully agree with you on the weather part. (: Five days without feeling any sweat was just great.

ryan.

Post a Comment