Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Ended Addiction

Yes, I finally quit MouseHunt. If anyone was wondering what MouseHunt actually is, it is a game on FaceBook where you click on a virtual image of a horn every fifteen minutes and check if you have caught any mice. Why did I quit. Basically, I began to find the game boring for the past two to three weeks and I went online on FaceBook less often. Also, I realised that playing games is a really bad thing for me, proven by my MSG in Term 1 -- 3.0, which is far below expectation. I took a rather long time before coming to a decision to quit the game. Reasons being that I was of the highest ranking in class, not too bad actually, and my game account seemed to have the most resources needed for the game.

The quitting procedure was quick and nice, no hesitating and nothing. I just told myself that quit and everything would still be the same, no more game addiction of course. To prevent myself from actually playing again, I gave my entire account away to Zhi Xin, I wonder how is he doing having total control over my account. The account password was changed and life went on as usual, no side effects like quitting a drug addiction. Another reason for me quitting is because I started playing another game, in moderation, called Maplestory. The game did not make me become addicted, since self-control was in operation. The game is perfectly fine to me, even Martin, Justin, Jim and Darren plays it. Similarly to MouseHunt, I own really high-leveled character accounts in Maplestory, since I used to be a game "spammer" during June and December holidays.

To end of, I just want to ask a simple question to other people who still play MouseHunt. Is MouseHunt really that difficult to quit. Even so, I think priorities and time management should play a part. Place priorities on important things and do not become addicted. Bye.

Posted on Term 2 Week 5

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alexander,

Quitting MH is definitely a good thing. I propped my MSG up from 4.00 to 1.33 last year when I stopped it along with Maple. Yes, and then the hols started and the games came back...

Everyday there'll be a MH Group who come together in the morning to discuss their latest skills, tactics, strategies, and awesomeness in a purely luck-based and virtual reality game. Peculiar, ain't it?

If I could point out, however, Maplestory is, to me, one of the most addictive games I've ever played. Apart from Battleon in P2. Well, you see like you said it's all about self control. I tend to play this game only during weekends. I don't believe in parents' super strict no games at all rules and I'll still relax after a week of hard work by settling down to play a game.

Managing how you play it is the difficult part. I didn't use to have good self control in games, in fact I only learnt it last year. And that was when my reults scared the shit out of me and my MSG dropped like a rock. I gave it wings to fly again when I quit my games till the end of the EOYs.

This year I adopted a different strategy by playing a game I was completely bored of. Sure, it still provides relaxation but I know I won't get addicted to it again because I've already played it to pretty much how much I want to.

While games can be a great form of relaxation, they are also a path to the great dark side. And honestly, I wonder if those people in class insanely and seriously very fearsomely addicted to MH (you can see it in their EYES what the hell goes on in their head) whether or not they'll stop and buck up.

If you do see me exhibitng signs of addiction again, of course, since you're a grandmaster of it yourself, do tell me, 'cos it would mean my unbreakable conscience is drawing weaker. But I work to ensure that won't happen. XD

J

Post a Comment