Sunday, May 2, 2010

Worst Birthday?

Three days have passed since my birthday. Since it was a normal school day, I could not possibly celebrate my birthday at night; my parents and I were far too tired to do so. I was then thinking of how would this year's birthday be celebrated. But the actual celebration was not as great as expected. Could this really be the worst birthday celebration ever?

The first thing I received from my father as a so-called birthday present: a new pair of spectacles. I went to choose the frames and do all the necessary stuff yesterday. Finally, I picked a frame which I liked, and we added in prices of the lenses, with Transitions and the ending price was like three hundred over dollars. Quite a reasonable price since the lenses are special. This could have been more expensive, I initially picked the Emporio Armani spectacle frame which was like two hundred and thirty dollars already. Too bad my head width was too small so I could not pick that frame. So I saved money for my father. This was practically the only thing I got as a present.

Subsequently, I celebrated the rest of my birthday today. The day started with bad event. My grandmother tripped and fell in her room and slammed her face onto the ground and bled. My parents then had to spend like five long hours at the hospital with my grandmother. Fortunately, my grandmother did not sustain any major injuries, but with just a few bruises here and there and a swollen eye. The moment finally arrived, my parents brought me out for a feast of Japanese cuisine. The food was just exquisitely served and tasted awesome. Thumbs up! This may seem very good for a birthday celebration, but compared to my previous years, this was the worst. Perhaps my expectations were a little too high. Presents in the previous years were much more, like four to five and red packets. Could it be because of the economic situation nowadays?

Comment and speculate. Bye.

Posted on Term 2 Week 6

1 comments:

Lim MX said...

Hi Alex,

Personally I feel that whether a birthday is "good" or "bad" should not be defined by the number of presents that one receives. Rather, it is the people who you spend it with and whether you enjoy their company as a whole. Although it might have been unfortunate that your grandmother was involved in such an accident, the good thing is that your family still spent your birthday together and that your grandmother returned safe and sound, that in itself is a blessing isn't it?

If you only harp after material items such as the most expensive spectacle frames, you will not enjoy the more important things, such as the love your parents give you (when they bother to buy you new spectacle frames to replace your old ones) and the blessing that god gave you when your grandmother thankfully did not suffer any major injuries. These gifts and blessings are definitely worth more than any number of red packets in the world.

MX

Post a Comment